Thursday, May 25, 2017

Gazing and glazing

This week I could finally gaze upon the shades of blue that had looked like green and red last week.



What I did this week, was again applying multiple layers of white powder onto my work, which would turn into shiny layers of joy after baking. Yes, I am talking about glazing! This time I also worked with pre-fab colored glazings, in the colors red, yellow, and orange. (Also, German Jackson Pollock, who was sitting across from me, might have added some splashes of blue hither and thither)

Because the effect of applied unbaked glazing powder is close to boring, I would rather enjoy you with the pictures of my work from two weeks ago, which I painted with pigments and were then spray-glazed by Erik. These came out of the oven in the afternoon, and the glazing shine definitely added some character to the objects. 




I think the effect overall looks unsettling, but also one might appreciate the beauty of the different colors and patterns, which is exactly the contradiction that I find in the lab. 

Also, I'm not certain if you can see it clearly, but I learned a lesson here; too much colour pigment leads to openings in the glazing where you can still see the pigment powder peeking through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the end, it's all about the people

It struck me that what might be the largest difference between the AKI and the UT, is not the environment, the tools, the ideas, or even th...