Saturday, May 13, 2017

You know what is frustrating about working with clay?

Well, when you are drawing, you immediately know what your product looks like, and you can change it easily. The 'black box' is not at all present. When the material you use becomes more difficult, the black box also increases, you have less control. This also becomes visible when working with pressing techniques, where your drawing is mirrored, no line can be undone, and you can only hope that you applied the paint correctly. Additionally, here there is the few moments between laying your etch or lino on the paper, and taking it off again after pressing. How the pressing goes is up to the gods of chance.
And then, there is clay, with a black box of a week. I create something, and while it is still wet, I leave it for seven days. A whole week where I have no idea what happens to my work. Is it breaking? Is it cracking? How do the colour and glazing turn out? Would there be any air pockets in my work? You don't know, no one knows until my creations exit the 1060 degree oven.
I can not learn from my actions until seven days later.
And I noticed that this makes me very hesitant to try things, because what if it does not work out? Then I have wasted 10% of my personal pursuit on a failed experiment. It would feel like such a waste.

Creativity springs where one is not afraid to fail, which makes one careless in his trials. So how can I set this fear of failure, of wasting time, aside, to let my creativity run freely? I do not know, and it bothers me truly that I don't..

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the end, it's all about the people

It struck me that what might be the largest difference between the AKI and the UT, is not the environment, the tools, the ideas, or even th...