Friday, June 16, 2017

On bad omens and an onion-shaped vase

The plan was to work with 'opglazuur' this week, which is technique where you print an image on a special paper using a silkscreen press, and then stick this image onto something that has already been glazed. Once it is baked, the print will merge with the glaze of the object, and stick to it. For this purpose I had bought some plates and bowls, to print microscopic images of cells on. As you might have already guessed, this did not happen, because the plates had broken straight through the middle during pre-baking (which is done to clear the glaze of impurities). This would be the first of some bad omens that would convince me not to try this technique. 
So my new plan, which I did execute, was to glaze my bowls from last week, and try some pottery again. With the glazing I tried to recreate the appalling (appalling: causing shock or dismay; horrific) combinations of red and orange, and with the pottery I set myself the goal to go a bit bigger and thinner, since my earlier products had been no larger than minuscule, while nearly indestructible. 



The bowls again had this droopy effect that I am growing quite fond of, and none had cracked during the first baking. However they look much more blue then the first load, before they were glazed. I thought I had added the same or less coloring then the first time, but I am now starting to doubt my memory.. 




So I made two vases, still not very big, but a lot more refined than the first that I made. I tried to maintain symmetry more, and make the walls thinner. I am starting to get requests from friends, hinting that a vase might be a nice birthday present, so apparently I am doing something right. I also made a very heavy cup with a small surprise 'fountain' on the inside. It made me happy so I left it like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the end, it's all about the people

It struck me that what might be the largest difference between the AKI and the UT, is not the environment, the tools, the ideas, or even th...